Abbas Kiarostami (Persian: عباس کیارستمی; born 22 June 1940) is an Iranian film director, screenwriter, photographer and film producer. An active filmmaker since 1970, Kiarostami has been involved in over forty films, including shorts and documentaries.
He is part of a generation of filmmakers in the Iranian New Wave, a Persian cinema movement that started in the late 1960s and includes pioneering directors such as Forough Farrokhzad, Sohrab Shahid Saless, Mohsen Makhmalbaf, Bahram Beizai, and Parviz Kimiavi.
Kiarostami has a reputation for using child protagonists, for documentary-style narrative films, for stories that take place in rural villages, and for conversations that unfold inside cars, using stationary mounted cameras.
Kiarostami was born in Tehran. His first artistic experience was painting, which he continued into his late teens, winning a painting competition at the age of 18 shortly before he left home to study at the University of Tehran School of Fine Arts.
Kiarostami has been a jury member at numerous film festivals, most notably the Cannes Film Festival in 1993, 2002 and 2005. He was also the president of the Caméra d’Or Jury in Cannes Film Festival 2005. He has been announced as the president of the Cinéfondation and short film sections of the 2014 Cannes Film Festival.
Honors and awards
Kiarostami has won the admiration of audiences and critics worldwide and received at least seventy awards up to the year 2000. Here are some representatives:
- Prix Roberto Rossellini (1992)
- Prix Cine Decouvertes (1992)
- François Truffaut Award (1993)
- Pier Paolo Pasolini Award (1995)
- Federico Fellini Gold Medal, UNESCO (1997)
- Palme d’Or, Cannes Festival (1997)
- Honorary Golden Alexander Prize, Thessaloniki Film Festival (1999)
- Silver Lion, Venice Film Festival (1999)
- Akira Kurosawa Award (2000)
- Honorary doctorate, École Normale Supérieure (2003)
- Konrad Wolf Prize (2003)
- President of the Jury for Caméra d’Or Award, Cannes Festival (2005)
- Fellowship of the British Film Institute (2005)
- Gold Leopard of Honor, Locarno film festival (2005)
- Prix Henri-Langlois Prize (2006)
- Honorary doctorate, University of Toulouse (2007)
- World’s great masters, Kolkata Film Festival (2007)
- Glory to the Filmmaker Award, Venice Film Festival (2008)
- Honorary doctorate, University of Paris (2010)
- Japan’s Medal of Honor (2013)