Mohsen Makhmalbaf (Persian: محسن مخملباف, Mohsen Makhmalbaaf; born May 29, 1957) is an acclaimed Iranian film director, writer, film editor, and producer. He has made more than 20 feature films, won some 50 awards and been a jury in more than 15 major film festivals. His award-winning films include Kandahar, and his latest film is the The Gardener.
Time magazine selected Makhmalbaf’s 2001 film Kandahar as one of the top 100 films of all time. In 2006, he was a member of the Jury at the Venice film festival.
Degrees and honors
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Literature From St Andrew University, Scotland, 2011
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Cinema From Nanterre University, France, 2010
- “Freedom to Create Prize” for his human right activity and promoting social Justice through his art, Art Action, England, 2009
- “Federico Fillini Honor” from UNESCO in Paris, 2001 (France)
- A Moment of Innocence: Among Top Ten Films of the Decade – Awarded by International Festival Directors and Critics 1999.
- Mohsen Makhmalbaf: Selected as the best filmmaker after the revolution by readers of cinema publications, 1988.
1. The Cyclist: Best Film – Rimini Festival (Italy) 1989.
2. The Cyclist: Best Film – Hawaii Festival (USA) 1991.
3. Once Upon a Time, Cinema: Best Film – Taormina Festival (Italy) 1992.
4. Once Upon a Time, Cinema: Best Film – Karlovy vary Festival (Czechoslovakia) 1992.
5. Once Upon a Time, Cinema: Best Film – Fiprachi Critics – Karlovy vary Festival (Czechoslovakia) 1992.
6.Once Upon a Time, Cinema: Best Director – Karlovy vary Festival (Czechoslovakia) 1992.
9. Salam Cinema: Best Film – Munich Festival (Germany) 1996.
10. Gabbeh: Best Artistic Film – Tokyo Festival (Japan) 1996.
11. Gabbeh: One of 10 selected films by critics – Times (USA) 1996.
12. Gabbeh: Best Director – Sitguess Festival (Spain) 1996.
16. A Moment of Innocence: Youth Golden Award – Locarno Festival (Switzerland) 1996.
17. A Moment of Innocence: Among Top Ten Films of the Decade – Awarded by International Festival Directors and Critics 1999.
18. Silence: Golden Prize of Italian Parliament – Venice Festival (Italy) 1997.
22. Kandahar: Grand prize from Society of churches of world, Cannes 2001 (France)
23. Kandahar: “Federico Fillini Honor” from UNESCO in Paris, 2001 (France)
24. Kandahar: The best movie from Ajaccio Film Festival, (France) 2001
25. Kandahar: “Public Prize” from Festival des Cinemas du Sud, (France) 2001
26. Kandahar:”Best Director Award” from Riga International Film Forum Arsenals,Latvia 2002
29. The Afghan Alphabet:”Best Film Award”from Document ART International Film Festival, (Germany) 2002.
32. Kandahar: “Best Film” Fiprachi Critics From Thessaloniki (Greece) 2001
35. “Clermont-Ferrand Medallion”, the city medallion granted to the legendary Mohsen Makhmalbaf, France, 2006.
Pingback: 4th Persian Film Festival Australia – September 3 to September 6 2015 | The other Iran
Pingback: The President a film by awarded Iranian director Mohsen Makhmalbaf | The other Iran
Pingback: Iranian Film Festival in San Francisco, USA 26-27 September | Iran's Cinema