Iran’s Tehran Province: Chitgar Lake (photo gallery)

Chitgar Lake is an (artificial) recreational lake located in the north of Chitgar Park, north-west of Tehran City, Iran. Also known as the Lake of the Martyrs of the Persian Gulf, this complex has a total area of about 250 hectares; 130 hectares across the lake and 120 hectares on its coastal zone and resorts.

About 80% of the lake water comes from the Kan Creek. The remaining 20% comes from central areas and surface runoffs of the district.

Back in 1968 it was planned to construct a lake in western Tehran but due to technical and budgetary constraints the construction of the lake remained dormant for many years. From 2003 to 2010 were the uncertainties of the plan reviewed and operations of the lake area started in September 2010. The operations of the coastal zones started in June of 2012.

Interesting locations near Chitgar Lake
Chitgar Forest Park , Letmal-e Kan Forest Park, Eram Park, Chahar Bagh, the Azadi Sport Complex, Chitgar Equestrian Complex, Alborz waterfall (Abshar-e Alborz) and Kan Creek

Sources: Wikipedia | Chitgar Lake, Tehran Picture Agency | Chitgar Lake (photos by E. Rafati), | Tehran | Persian Gulf Martyrs Lake (Chitgar), ISNA | Photos 1 (by B. Ghasemi), ISNA | Photos 2 (by B. Ghasemi), Farhang News | Persian Gulf Martyrs Lake

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s